Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Improving video performance in large battles

TrevorJD

Suggestion

Hi folks,

I run a GTX980Ti which isn't new but it's hardly a potato card. I have no trouble playing games like 7 Days to Die, Ark and Atlas in high quality mode. However, Xsotan invasions drag my video down to 7-8fps according to the counter and there's often 3-5 seconds between a mouse movement or keypress and the game responding. This is with almost all video settings turned down to Low. My client has even crashed a few times in the middle of an invasion 😞 A ship or station launching several squads of fighters will cause my game to pause and stutter for a good ten seconds. I dread to think how someone with a minimum spec GTX 500 would fare!

The problem is clearly the number of floating objects / the number of things being animated because performance degrades progressively as the battle wages longer, and after the survivors warp out and I clean up the battlefield, my video performance creeps back up to normal.

One way to address this would be to 'clump' the loot. When a ship is destroyed, it currently explodes into dozens of items including modules, cash, resources and wreckage. While it looks great, I expect there'd be a substantial performance improvement if the cash and resources were each combined into a single item. e.g. Instead of 10 pieces of 20 credits each, 1 piece of 200 credits. A solution would need to retain the existing code so that people with high graphics can enjoy the glittering prizes.

Reasoning out the process, when a ship is destroyed, it's despawned and the wreckage items are spawned in. If there were a unique Wreck_ID tag shared by each piece spawned in, the client could then pick X of each type depending on the graphics level, and just render those. When the ship gets close enough to pick up the rendered item, all items of that type and Wreck_ID get collected at the same time.

2 answers to this suggestion

I hadn't done. I'd dropped them down to Big Objects. I actually noticed fighter shadows pass over my hull as I was salvaging while typing that post so I guess the game has a different idea of what 'big' means! I've now turned them off completely. Everything else is either at Low, Very Low or Off.