A list of my suggestions

Zobaken

Suggestion

I like the game so far, but there are some things it'd be nice to have:

Major:

• "Go to..." and "Dock" commands for your ship to automatically perform these actions (auto-pilot, basically);
  • Sector map with all stations and an ability to set course to them with the commands above (including courses through several sectors through warpgates and warpholes);
  • Space dealership stations where you can buy ships instead of building 'em (no materials needed, but credits price is much higher);
  • Scanner window with the list of sector stations (and ships nearby) for fast selection;
  • Salvaging factories to salvage uneeded weapons and upgrades into its raw materials;
  • Emergency brakes system;
  • Claimable sectors and constructable warpgates for them;
  • Recruitment centers: a new type of stations where you can hire big amounts of the crew members at once;
  • An ability to use your saved ship presets while building ships on the shipyard;
  • An ability to create trade routes and assign your ships to them for automatic trade;
  • "Symmetric Build" checkbox at the shipyard: makes sure the generated ship will be symmetrical;
  • Bases on planets as well, not just space stations.

Minor:

• Bigger docking range;
  • Brighter enemy icons;
  • Animated warphole and warpgate jumps;

Ship editor:

• An ability to unselect single blocks after performing a multiple selection;
  • More visually subtle version of thrusters (moderate glowing while they work insted of flashing pillars of light).
  • Sorting at the saved ships screen (by name, by save date, etc.);
  • Multicolor patterns for painting (stripes, dots, etc.);
  • Differernt logos and digits to put on your ship.

7 answers to this suggestion

"Go to..." and "Dock" commands for your ship to automatically perform these actions (auto-pilot, basically)

Yes! I'm sure we're not the only players who lament the boring time wasted trying to approach a station's docking port safely - or who curses after crashing into it.

Sector map with all stations and an ability to set course to them with the commands above (including courses through several sectors through warpgates and warpholes)

Scanner window with the list of sector stations (and ships nearby) for fast selection

Would be useful, sure. Though it's not as high on my priority list as other suggestions.

Space dealership stations where you can buy ships instead of building 'em (no materials needed, but credits price is much higher)

Good idea. This would add more depth and realism. Also, a nice option for players who just want to jump right in without having to mine for ores.

Emergency brakes system;

Please! This system could be either in the form of a module, or a new type of thruster that only provides thrust in one direction. (See the Single direction thrusters topic.)

Currently, the Brake Thrust system seems broken. I've seen massive ships with a pitifully small, single-digit Brake Thrust slow down faster than a much smaller ship with double-digit Brake Thrust.

Also, I would think that pressing "S" (backwards) while holding the [space] down should fire up the afterburners to slow down faster. But, actually, not pressing any movement keys will have the ship slow down faster than pressing backwards, which seems counter-intuitive.

Claimable sectors and constructable warpgates for them;

I would think that the only ways a sector would be claimable is if either (a) no faction currently owns them or (b) you "kick out" (i.e., wipe out) all faction stations. And to claim it for yourself, I think we should have to build at least one station of our own, maybe more. Or maybe we'd have to build a warpgate?

Recruitment centers: a new type of stations where you can hire big amounts of the crew members at once;

Good idea. It's not terribly fun to run around several systems trying to hire enough crew.

An ability to use your saved ship presets while building ships on the shipyard;

Nice idea. But this should be trivial for the dev to code. All that's needed is a button in the Shipyard menu to open up our presets window.

An ability to unselect single blocks after performing a multiple selection;

Yes! This would be very useful. It's frustrating to select several dozen blocks in an effort to copy-n-paste or add to our templates, only to accidentally select the wrong block. Then we have to unselect everything and start all over again... >:(

More visually subtle version of thrusters (moderate glowing while they work insted of flashing pillars of light).

I've seen several players complain about how bright the engine's glow is. And it is, indeed, incredibly distracting, especially when the afterburners kick in. This is especially problematic if we stack several engines on top of each other as the glow grows exponentially. (See the Holy Light topic for a screenshot of an extreme example.)

Sorting at the saved ships screen (by name, by save date, etc.)

Yes! This would be very useful.

Differernt logos and digits to put on your ship.

This would be appreciated. The ability to apply decals to custom creations is a nice feature of some voxel-based games like Planet Explorers. I also have memories of X2, where we could apply a custom 'corporate logo' to our stations.

Emergency brakes system;

There is already one in place. When you turn around your ship, you can use your main engine to stop.  Also, there is some bug (or feature?) that allows you to change direction of your flight to opposite direction in single instance without slowing down. (probably because this game uses semi-newtonian physics)

Recruitment centers: a new type of stations where you can hire big amounts of the crew members at once;

There is amazing mod out there in mod section, which solves this issue, you should check it out :) Although I agree that this mod should be part of main game.

An ability to use your saved ship presets while building ships on the shipyard;

Not bad idea, but quite redundat, as you can build your own ship from preset and just recruit a captain in it.  It would make it easier though, and would make sense if your "buy not build" idea was also implemented.

Bigger docking range;

There is mod for this feature aswell, allows you to "dock" from 0.3km

Animated warphole and warpgate jumps;

Is already on devs to-do list I think :)

An ability to unselect single blocks after performing a multiple selection;

if you select multiple objects, you can unselect some of them, by holding ctrl and clicking with middle mouse button (if that is what you meant)

More visually subtle version of thrusters (moderate glowing while they work insted of flashing pillars of light).

In graphic option, you can untick "bloom" and all thrusters and lights will be much less pronounced and visible. Solves the problem quite well, but I agree it should be toned down overall.

I pretty much agree with all other points :)